You can set budgets to recur on a monthly basis, once (not recurring), and on a non-monthly basis (recurring between 2 and 12 months apart).
Here's how to change the spending cycle for a particular budget:
- Hover your mouse over the budget and click Edit Details.
- Check the correct radio button for "When will this happen?"
- If you select Once you will be asked to enter an amount and a date for when the spending will occur.
- If you select Every few months, you will be asked to enter an amount, how often the spending will occur (you can choose anywhere between every 2 to every 12 months), and a date for when the next spending date will occur.
- We will then set a side a certain amount of money each month so there is enough money budgeted for the date(s) that the spending will occur.
For example, if you have a $1,000 annual bill for your car insurance, but you only pay it twice a year, you can set a budget of $500 that will recur every 6 months, and Mint will set aside money each month so that $500 is expected to be saved by the date that you need to make the payment.